|Serbs and Gypsies who have been rounded up for deportation |
are marched to the Kozara and Jasenovac concentration camps
"Gypsy" refers to ethnic groups. Even CBS San Francisco (KCBS) is guilty of using the phrase, "Gypsy Cabs" insultingly. Here's Wikipedia's description of "Gypsy...
- Gypsy may refer, often pejoratively, to any of the following nomadic peoples:
· the Romani people, the largest ethnic group popularly referred to as gypsies
o Roma (Romani subgroup), a major Romani subgroup in Central and Eastern Europe
o Sinti, a European subgroup of the Romani people
· the Dom people, an ethnic group of the Middle East possibly related to the Romani
o Lyuli, a branch of the Dom people of Central Asia
· the Lom people, an ethnic group of East Anatolia and Armenia possibly related to the Romani
· the Banjara, an ethnic group of India
· the Irish Travellers (or Pavee), an ethnic group of Irish origin mostly found in Ireland, Great Britain, and the United States
· the Yeniche people, mostly in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, France, and Belgium
- Sea Gypsies, a number of different peoples of Southeast Asia
San Franciscans, especially taxi drivers, and all media should stop referring to illegal taxis as "gypsy cabs", because it is racist and degrading to people of various ethnic groups. When referring to illegal cabs on the street, they should be referred to as "bandit" or "pirate" cabs.